Saturday, December 11, 2010

How I am needleturning the first Border on CW Bride

Layout the traced pieces till I am pleased. Glue baste in place.
I am starting to see the Border take shape of the Civil War Bride Quilt. I have made the first 5 blocks of the top row, so I decided to make the left side border, then go back to the blocks.

Since these blocks are so organic I can, work on them in my lap without a lot of prep. I simply cut and go doing one section at a time building the border.  I cut out the image glue in place using Roxanne's Glue Baste ( the tiniest drop!).  I then needle turn the piece. My goal is too perfect my needle skills so it is just me and my needle.  I have no patience for freezer paper or all the other prep methods.  I also use a jelly roll white pen. They write very smoothly and so far has washed out of everything.
After the pieces are needleturned in place continue to next section.
I have been asked how I know where to place the pieces.  In this case I traced the stem and appliqued that first.  I place registration marks where I think things should go and make adjustments as I needleturn the pieces.

1 comment:

  1. You have a lot of lovely projects going. I enjoyed the visit. I guess I'll hve to come back to see how these come out!

    ReplyDelete